Pages

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Walk Day 5 - Bach to near Laburgade at "Le Gascou"

Tuesday, May 26, 2009
There was a terrific, wild thunderstorm last night but the morning is calm if cloudy and excellent walking weather. Easy, flat trail today although muddy, and made good time. Got going at 8:30am and arrived at my Gite d'étape "Le Gascou" at 12:50pm, about 12 klms down the trail.

Unusually, there was a kind of homemade café on the trail today so I had to stop and support it. Asked for tea with milk and was served green tea with hot milk in it, go figure, but I drank it down with pleasure.


Passing through Bach again.



A dark sky but it didn't actually rain much. The white flowers on the shrubs in the hedgerows are brambleberry blossoms, vibernum, and dogwood, among other things -- gorgeous.








A little topiary in the works....


About 15 minutes of rather gentle rain and then just cloudy...


A fellow traveller with a pack on her back....


My night's gite was off the main trail about one klm and down the path to the left here...


"Le Gascou" is a working farm, our accommodation was a little stone house behind where I was standing.


Arrived early and in time to mess around with self-portraits. Nothing hurting too badly today, must be getting stronger.

An amazing meal, simple but absolutely delicious which was eaten with the other three guests and delivered to our cottage by the farmer's wife and her two grandchildren. Started with this salad composé -- fresh lettuce from the garden, slices of homemade paté and fresh, hardboiled egg followed by stuffed goose over rice followed by a cheese plate followed by homemade chocolate-covered-cornflakes cookie (!) and all washed down by a bottle local wine. I bought a lunch for the next day from the farm which consisted of more homemade paté, a hardboiled egg, a chunk of cheese, an apple and some bread. I must be in heaven.


My bedroom for the night. As there are not that many single women on the trail, this turned out to be the only night I shared a room -- I arrived first so I got the double bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment